Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Car washing, the green way

On Saturday, my daughter and I took the kids to Camp Lutherlyn for the day. Unfortunately, it was unseasonably hot, which made it a bit difficult to enjoy the long walks in the woods and standing around waiting as Laura did various activities. Ten-week-old Robyn didn't seem to mind the heat, but two-year-old Marley was pretty sweaty by the end of the day.

Despite the heat, I really enjoyed spending the day with my daughter, Jessica, and my grandbabies. I love watching her parent them, as I think she's one of the best mommies around. Seriously. When cautious grandma said, "No, Laura, you might fall," when Laura wanted to swing on the log swing, Jessica just shrugged and said, "Then she'll fall." Then they both climbed on. 


Like I said, it was a fun day. And Jess is a fantastic mother.

Her husband deserves some praise here, too. Not only is he a great father, but he's also a great son-in-law. My car was parked at their house for the day. After seeing the mess the oak trees made of it in the previous days, he washed it for me before he headed to work. I came back to a clean car. Massive points for RT! 

Photo by Paul Brennan


Which brings me to today's subject. Green car washing. Yes, my maroon car had a green sheen from the oak pollen, but that's not the green I'm talking about. I'm referring to eco-friendly ways to keep your car clean, especially in areas where water conservation is necessary.

First of all, try to find green car washes in your area. These environmentally-conscious businesses use recycled water and safe cleaning products. And only run your car through the car wash when it's absolutely necessary. 

Other times, you can grab a bucket of water and a rag and simply clean the windows and lights. Just ask yourself if a full wash is really necessary. A microfiber cloth, like the Norwex Envirocloth, goes a long way in cleaning your car with little water.

Using a bucket of water rather than a hose will save water. But here's an even better idea. Fill the bucket while you're taking a shower, or leave it outside during a rainstorm to collect rainwater. 

Make sure you pay attention to the cleansers you use, too. By using non-toxic products that are safe for the environment, you're doing your part to care for this amazing earth where we live. As I always say, every drop in the bucket counts toward making life better for the earth and for future generations.

What do you do to conserve water?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog