Thursday, January 1, 2015

TBT -- Some New Year's thoughts at the end of 2009

It's Throwback Thursday and it's also New Year's Day, 2015. Wow. 2014 flew by, didn't it? I looked through old New's Year's posts and found this one, which I think is well worth sharing again. Honestly, I could just substitute the years and it is as current as it gets.

Happy New Year, my friends! 


As 2009 comes to a close, there is much to be thankful for. For me, it’s been a year of discovery. But it’s also been a year of regrets, illness, sorrow and loss. I imagine it’s been like that for you, too. Every year seems to be filled with a kaleidoscope of both the good and the bad. Sometimes really wonderful things are thrown in there, as well as horribly devastating things. All events adding color to our lives.

 
As I write this, the noon news is broadcasting a collage of famous personalities we lost this year – authors, musicians, politicians, actors, directors, etc. While I didn’t personally know any of them, I feel heavy with grief over all the losses. And I am reminded of people I know who said goodbye to those closest to them. Times when you want to shake the kaleidoscope and create a new collection of colors.

 


Unfortunately, a new year does not wipe out all the bad of the previous year. But it can lend perspective to pain and offer new beginnings.

I want to challenge you to be open to new ideas in 2010. Don’t hide behind the comfort of phrases like, “That’s the way we’ve always done it,” because, many times, the way you’ve always done it isn’t the healthiest way – emotionally, spiritually, mentally, physically or environmentally. Face facts folks, our parents’ generation often wasn’t aware of dangers to the environment as they embraced progress without thinking about consequences. Even health issues weren’t thought through as they smoked and drank while pregnant, opted for formula over breastfeeding, rejoiced in the convenience of disposable diapers, fed their children diets of soda pop and French fries, etc. The way we’ve always done it is often the wrong way! It’s our responsibility to embrace knowledge and choose a better way.

This year, I intend to supply you with information to help you on your path to a better way. Sometimes my advice is solid and should be adhered to. Other times, it’s just my opinion and needs to be weighed accordingly.

My daughters are all grown now. Did I make mistakes along the way? You bet. Are there regrets? More than I can count. Through God’s grace, they survived and are thriving as adults. They are also making greener and healthier choices in their lives and inspire me daily.

So, here’s to the year behind us. It is just that – behind us. And here’s to moving forward into a year overflowing with possibilities. May God richly bless you with His grace, mercy and kindness and may you extend the same to those around you.

Grateful for you, my readers,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog